It’s unequivocally true that Las Vegas is world-famous for the neon and glittering lights of The Strip, as well as its lavish resorts, casinos, and restaurants. That’s hardly scratching the surface of all that “Sin City” has to offer, though.
Las Vegas has some incredible hidden-gem natural attractions at its doorstep, including Valley of Fire State Park and Red Rock Canyon. It also has a thriving craft brewery scene and several ultra-unique museums, like the Neon Museum and Pinball Hall of Fame.
Best of all, Las Vegas is within easy driving distance of several bucket list-worthy destinations, including the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. With dozens of epic options for road trips from Vegas, Sin City is the ideal basecamp for countless adventures. As an added bonus, the mild Southwest weather means you can hit the road literally any time of year.
Ready to explore some of the best weekend trips from Las Vegas? We’ve put together six of our favorites, all within a five-hour drive.
1. Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Road Trip
Grand Canyon overview: One of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World, the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon is a top choice for epic road trips from Vegas.
Distance from Las Vegas: 130 miles; 2.5 hours to the West Rim | 290 miles; 4.5 hours to the South Rim | 270 miles; 5 hours to the North Rim.
Few destinations in the West (and really, the entire world) are as iconic as the Grand Canyon. Fortunately, Las Vegas is within easy driving distance of all four of the park’s rims, allowing you to enjoy everything from simply taking in the views to going on an epic multi-day backcountry adventure.
Grand Canyon highlights
- SkyWalk (West Rim) – Walk the horseshoe-shaped glass platform that extends 70 feet over the canyon and sits 4,000 feet above the canyon floor
- South Rim viewpoints – Many of the park’s best and most accessible viewpoints are in the South Rim, including Mojave Point and Hopi Point
- Grand Canyon Village (South Rim) – Explore the largest “service town” in the entire National Park Service
- Take a hike – Hikes range in length from less than one mile to going over 26 miles from rim to rim
2. Las Vegas to Death Valley National Park
Death Valley overview: The hottest, driest, and lowest-elevation place in the U.S. is less than two hours from Sin City, making this one of the best road trips from Vegas.
Distance from Las Vegas: 126 miles; approximately 1 hour, 50 minutes
Despite its harsh, somewhat intimidating reputation as one of the harshest environments on Earth, Death Valley is a must-see. It’s more scenic than many people expect, and its wide variety of landscapes and experiences make it an ideal trip for different ages and interests.
Death Valley highlights
- Badwater Basin – The lowest point in the United States, 282 feet below sea level
- Zabriskie Point – One of the most famous viewpoints in Death Valley and a quick, easy stop
- Artist’s Palette – Another famous view, these colorful hills are a surprising scene in the park’s barren landscape
- Devil’s Golf Course – These salt flats let visitors experience yet another unique landscape in Death Valley
3. Las Vegas to Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu overview: This laid-back, quirky lake resort town offers a welcome respite from the glimmering lights of Sin City, with a heavy focus on water recreation.
Distance from Las Vegas: 153 miles; approximately 2.5 hours
With the London Bridge at its center (yes, that London Bridge!) and endless water recreation on the Colorado River, Lake Havasu is one of the best road trips from Vegas. After taking a requisite walk across the bridge, spend your time on the river, whether it’s on a pontoon boat, jet skis, or a river cruise.
Lake Havasu highlights
- London Bridge – Walk across the bridge between Lake Havasu and Thompson Bay
- Water sports – Rent jet skis, kayaks, paddleboards, or just about any type of boat imaginable
- River cruise – Several outfitters offer guided sails, an activity best enjoyed at sunset
- Main Street – Enjoy dozens of bustling restaurants, bars, and shops
4. Las Vegas to Zion National Park
Zion National Park overview: One of the busiest national parks in the U.S., with breathtaking, colorful rock formations, scenic drives, and incredible hiking.
Distance from Las Vegas: 160 miles; approximately 2 hours, 40 minutes (to Springdale entrance)
Whether you have just one day or you can get away for the weekend, one of the best weekend trips from Las Vegas you can take is to Zion National Park. In less than three hours, you can be in this outdoor lovers’ paradise, hiking some of the most iconic trails in the entire world.
Zion National Park highlights
- Zion Canyon Overlook Trail – This short and sweet trail offers up some of the best views in the entire park, especially during sunrise
- The Narrows – Wade right through the Virgin River the entire time
- Angels Landing – One of the most iconic (and intimidating!) hikes in the world. Well worth the road trip from Vegas in and of itself! Note that as of 2022, permits are required.
- Zion Canyon Brew Pub – Enjoy refreshing local craft beers and excellent burgers at the only brewery in the park
5. Las Vegas to Palm Springs, California
Palm Springs overview: Iconic, colorful Palm Springs makes one of the best road trips from Vegas, offering countless luxury spas, golf courses, and boutique hotels, all with a Mid-Century Modern twist.
Distance from Las Vegas: 232 miles; approximately 4 hours, 15 minutes
If you’re looking into weekend trips from Las Vegas, Palm Springs is an excellent option for anyone. The laid-back SoCal town is best known for its relaxing poolside vibe, stunning Mid-century modern architecture, and being THE former playground of Hollywood’s elite.
Joshua Tree National Park is also nearby for an additional adventure.
Palm Springs highlights
- Relax poolside – One of the top reasons for visiting Palm Springs, simply park yourself next to your hotel’s pool with a good read and a cold drink!
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway – This amazing gondola ride carries you across the Coachella Valley, high above the city
- Art galleries – Browse the countless art galleries that dot Palm Canyon Drive, the city’s downtown core
- Tahquitz Canyon – Hike an easy 2-mile loop to a 50-foot waterfall in the middle of the desert
6. Las Vegas to Page, Arizona
Page overview: Less than two hours past Zion just beyond the Arizona state line, Page packs a tremendous punch.
Distance from Las Vegas: 272 miles; approximately 4 hours, 30 minutes
With several must-see spots all clustered in one small area, Page is one of the absolute best weekend trips from Las Vegas. Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, two of the most photographed places on Earth, are here in this small town, as well as Lake Powell. Whether you’re making a quick day trip or can spend several days, Page should be at the top of your list of road trips from Vegas.
- Horseshoe Bend – Just a short, easy hike from the parking lot rewards with awe-inspiring views of this iconic natural formation carved out by the Colorado River
- Antelope Canyon – Book a guided tour into a famous slot canyon
- Lake Powell – Endless opportunities for water recreation, plus incredible boondocking campsites overlooking the lake
- Buckskin Gulch – Hike through one of the longest slot canyons in the world
So, are you feeling inspired to plan one (or two or three!) road trips from Vegas? 🚐 🌵